Saturday, February 2, 2013

ACD Recipes for Newbies



 Breakfast!

Photo: Breakfast. 
Here's my new favorite omelet - this recipe came from a packet that my nutritionist gave me. It's sort of a compilation/adaptation of two recipes that were in the packet. 

Spanish Omelet - Serves 1

Sauce: Make enough sauce ahead of time to keep a few batches on hand in small storage containers in the fridge. Then when it's time for breakfast again during the week, you have it handy and it takes less time to make breakfast.
 
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup zucchini or crookneck squash, chopped
1 Tbsp. arrowroot (optional)
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 cup tomato, chopped

Omelet:
 2 eggs
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup parsley, chopped*

*I usually omit this - it's only for presentation in the recipe; but add it if you like to eat it. I also often add chopped spinach as a filling.    

Cook onions in water for 1-2 minutes. Add celery, green pepper and zucchini; continue cooking until soft. In a separate bowl, stir arrowroot into water. Move vegetables to edge of pan and stir arrowroot into cooking liquid, mixing well. Quickly add tomatoes; reduce heat to simmer and cover. Beat eggs. Heat oil in a second skillet over low heat. Pour eggs into pan; cook 2-3 minutes. While top is still moist, fill with vegetables and continue to cook. When eggs are done, fold one half of the egg mixture over the vegetables, into an omelet, and serve. *I put the chopped, uncooked spinach in before folding over - and the tomato mixture could be spooned over the top to make it look like a sauce over a regular omelet.
-----------------

My all time favorite breakfast includes steamed chard with caramelized onions and garlic. Add a couple of over easy eggs. Just wish I could also have toast...

Here's how I do the onions... Heat a large skillet over medium heat until very hot, then add a drizzle of olive oil and quickly add sliced and/or chopped onions. They usually splatter, so I stir them quickly, and then throw a cover over them until they are soft. Then add chopped/minced garlic. Cook with the garlic a few minutes and then throw in a huge bunch of greens + about 1/3 to 2/3 cup water to "steam" the greens until they're done the way I like them. 
----------------
Other meals!
 
Here is a small assortment of recipes I've tried and loved enough to repeat making again and again. Once you get to websites where I found them, you can browse around to see if there are other recipes that appeal to you. Just adapt a recipe to make it something that fits what you can eat. If a recipe calls for agave, I substitute the sweetener that I use that I'm allowed to use (I use Xylitol), though hardly ever more than 1 tablespoon. If it's more than that, I usually try to find another recipe with less or no added sweetener.

I wish I had kept the links to where I found some of these, but didn't... 

When I logged on to make this post, I saw there were some other recent recipes that were good - and it looks like they can be adapted to accommodate what you are able to eat on your current level of the ACD plan.
--------------

This first one - for homemade bouillon is a staple in my freezer. I use this bouillon in nearly every soup that I make. It really gives soups a lot more body, and I feel better knowing that I'm eating way more veggies than just what I can see in my bowl.  I freeze it in 1/2 cup amounts so that I can make 8 quarts of soup at a time. (The comments in the recipe are not mine.)

My  all time favorite is to make chicken vegetable soup using this bouillon. Just add as much diced chicken as you want, and as many vegetables as you want, then simmer it all together with whatever seasonings you like. Instead of adding water to the soup, I prefer to use organic broth that I buy at the grocery store. Be sure to read labels carefully, as many brands include sugar as an ingredient.

Homemade Vegetable Bouillon
Yield: approx 3 1/2 cups 

You will need a food processor or Vitamix to make this. I chose to make it in my food processor, and added the vegetables in batches, grinding between adding to make more room in the processor.  

Store in the fridge in a well-sealed container for 5 days, or freeze in small portions to use later on!  I love ice cube trays for this very thing.  I did not make this very salty, so that it is more versatile and I can salt the dish I use it in to my preference later on.  I added miso paste for a rich flavor; feel free to omit if desired.  The beneficial bacteria of the miso will be cooked out once the broth is heated, but the delicious flavor will remain!

3 large carrots
3 celery stalks
1 large leek
1 very small onion (or probably about 1/4-1/2 of a medium onion)
4 garlic cloves
1/2 large fennel bulb, with stalk and fronds
1/4 cup packed parsley leaves
1 tsp dry thyme
Optional: 3 Tbsp adzuki or chickpea miso (Omit if  you don't eat beans yet!)
1 tsp salt

Chop all ingredients and place in a food processor.  Pulse a few times, then process until you have a smooth vegetable paste.  Place a small amount in a container in the fridge and use within 4 days.  Freeze remaining bouillon in ice cube trays, then package in freezer bags.  Easy broth!

To use: use 1 Tbsp bouillon per 8 oz of water
----------------


Roasted Cauliflower in Lemon-Tahini Sauce

I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower, but this hardly even tastes like cauliflower when roasted. I often add broccoli to the mix, too.  

Found this recipe at:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-in-lemon-tahini-sauce/

Serves 4
30 minutes or fewer

An avid cook and enthusiastic eater, Tim Miano says his experiments in the kitchen arent always successful. But he hit the mark with this delicious side dish that is deceptively simple. Our judges were wowed by its speed, ease and incredible flavor. The sauce uses tahini, a Mediterranean paste of ground sesame seeds that can be found in most supermarkets.
1st Place, 2006 recipe contest.

  • 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (about 1 ½ lb.)
  • 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
  • 2 Tbs. tahini
  • 1 Tbs. lemon juice
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbs. chopped parsley
  • 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds 
1. Place oven rack in top position. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss cauliflower with 2 tsp. olive oil, and season with salt. Spread on large cookie sheet, and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until cauliflower is fork-tender and slightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tsp. olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Sauté garlic in oil 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in tahini, lemon juice, 5 Tbs. water, and salt. Simmer over low heat 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Divide cauliflower among plates. Whisk sauce, then spoon over cauliflower. Sprinkle with parsley and sesame seeds, and serve.

---------------------

Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken

I think this recipe came from www.allrecipes.com... I've probably made it once a week for the past three weeks. I wrap the cooked chicken pieces individually so that if I only want to use one at a time, I can just grab one as needed and reheat it for 2 minutes in the microwave. This is an excellent way to add some warm, sliced chicken to a green salad. Oh... I'm getting hungry thinking about it!

½  tsp. Sea Salt
¼ tsp. Black Pepper
¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/8 tsp. Paprika
¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
¼ tsp. Dried Thyme
¼ tsp. Dried Parsley
2 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP Olive Oil (can use just Olive Oil instead of the butter)
2 TBSP Garlic Powder (in addition to the above amt.)
3 TBSP Lime Juice
4 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts


In a small bowl, mix the salt, cayenne, paprika, ¼ tsp. garlic powder, onion powder, thyme & parsley. Sprinkle generously on both sides of chicken. Heat butter & oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken until goldne brown, about 6 minutes per side. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. garlic powder and lime juice. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently to coat.
----------------




Chicken Zucchini Burgers

 I think these may have also come from www.allrecipes.com, but not certain... sorry... We asked the butcher at the grocery store to order ground chicken for us so that I don't have to go through that step.
 

1 lb (400 gram) chicken breast fillets
1 cup chopped zucchini
2cm piece fresh ginger chopped
2 spring onion chopped
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
1 egg
3 tablespoons freshly ground flaxseed
Extra virgin coconut oil

Blend everything except the oil in the food processor. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Now use a large spoon to form 5-6 patties. Cook patties for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until browned and cooked through.
-----

My current favorite salad dressing... I *really* wish I could find the link for this... Comments are mine. I couldn't even find the file I must have saved this under to print it out!

Yeast Free Creamy Herb Salad Dressing Ingredients ACD VGF

1/2 CUP grapeseed oil (use what you are allowed to use - all would work in this, probably)
1 large tomato
1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh is best, but I buy bottled organic lemon juice)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
1 Tbsp. fresh tarragon
1/2 tsp. paprika (I used smoked because that is all I have)
1 packet stevia (I substitute 1 Tbsp. Xylitol)       
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.  I often substitute whatever dried herbs I feel like adding. My current batch has oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme and tarragon. :-)
------------


1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipes with us. It's hard to know what to eat on the ACD, particularly at the start...

    Take care
    Sandra (candidadietplan.com)

    ReplyDelete